Thursday, July 13, 2017

Norwich Castle....


This was built over 900 years ago as a Royal Palace.....


It now serves as a museum..... one floor is dedication to life back in the day....  this would have been a dining hall


Inside the museum area are a number of amazing pieces...

this lovely old dresser....



we had just seen work like this on Antiques Road Show... the marketry is with semi precious stones...


... lots of beautiful pieces of art....


.. a big teapot display ....


I had to take a picture of this rather grotesque one....



A dolls house exhibition was on - they had about a dozen old dollshouses - rather fun...


there was a lovely display of old handwork....

late 17th century Italian lace

detail of a bed curtain tie 17th century

C 1880

c 1870 - 1900 (shelf drape)

... and accesories...

1860's chatelain

part of a ladies bodice c1600 - 1615

Bum nut - from a palm tree in the Seychelles - largest seed pod in the world....



After all that we needed a cup of tea.... they had produced tea sets in the style from one of the sets in the display....


I had a giggle about this....


This was one of the lovely museums I have been to - in a landmark location and we ran out of time...

Righto, Gotto Go....  time for a cuppa

11 comments:

WoolenSails said...

The painted furniture is beautiful, love the designs. We have beach huts too, they are more like hotel style with a room to change and store things, but pricey.

Debbie

Lin said...

How lovely - years since I was there. Love the little bit of crazy patchwork. xx

Jennifer said...

Lovely pics, Fiona.....thank you for sharing! Yes, I can see why that china made you giggle......the marquetry cabinet is superb, I have seen work by an Australian man whose work is equally beautiful, I love that style.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona ,wow what a wonderful place to see ,so many awesome things,the dolls houses would've freaked me out ,i have seen too many horror movies with doll houses,lol,thankyou for sharing my friend xx

Karen S said...

That would have been an amazing visit. It is the sort of thing that takes your breath away.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

LOL! Australian china made in UAE! Love it! I'm enjoying all your photos, looks like you had such a wonderful time! xx

Raewyn said...

Interesting! And amazing how OLD things are, awesome that they've been preserved. I gigled about the teaset!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I've just been to Gracie's blog and saw your's in the blog roll. The words Norwich Castle caught my attention as I used to work in Norwich and passed the castle every day! I even had to do a guided tour round it for some Russian colleagues explaining why a Norman Castle was built in the heart of Norfolk!
Did you visit Strangers' Hall while you were in Norwich? Small but gorgeous with some lovely textiles and samplers.

Jeanette said...

So interesting. Love the needlework & that chatelaine. Too funny about the Aussie china. Hugs,xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

I don't know what to love first! That dresser, teapots or needlework. Oh and the lace....yummo! Hope the Aussie china made a good cuppa xx

Jane said...

that looks like fun, all those tea pots. I just love looking at all the textiles as I go through these old houses

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>