Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quilt As You Go Tutorial and Sashing QAYG blocks

A couple of years ago I did a guest appearance at Sew We Quilt.... and did a Quilt As You Go tutorial.... which was based on one of my first quilts.....

It was quite a popular post and I never showed it on my blog... so I thought I would ...


This QAYG is great for a beginner or experienced quilter, and although there is quite a bit of preparation work the final quilt grows so quickly.

This is one of the first quilts I made:

That's a queen size bed. I overestimated the fabric I would need and thus my stash was born..... so for this tutorial I decided to bust the black and white stash....
(this method lends itself well to any stash colours - scrappy, ranges etc - just have fun with it.....)

My big tip to quilting is relaxation and enjoyment.... so get out a glass mug of your favourite wine coffee ..... you may need a snack.... like chocolate cake..


and then go and raid the fabric stash cupboard.....
 You will need:
  • your stash fabrics - remember you can use scraps - but you want them at 11" - 18" lengths - any width will do - but wider than 1"
  • your wadding. There is usually some of a suitable size left from cutting the edges of the wadding from other quilts - so you may even be able to use your wadding scraps
  • your backing fabric
  • spray baste

Firstly cut your backing and wadding into squares - I used 11" squares which would be cut back to 10".  Cut as many as required to make your desired quilt size.


 Prepare your backing and wadding blocks by spray basting the wadding (some people are happy just with ironing and it does work for small projects - I like the firm hold of the spray) 


~ carefully lay on the backing ~


~ use a ruler to ensure it is nice and smooth ~


~ wadding and backing happy together ~


  ~ continue until you have a nice pile of backed wadding ~


Great job
... time to refill your glass mug, and maybe have a snack too - like cream and jam scones .....


~ Find your stash of fabric strips ~
 ~ I used black on white and white on black with a range of designs ~

 

~ I used a variety of straight strips and not straight strips. 

What do I mean you say??? 
(hold on - I'll just have another glass slice sip). 

Some pieces I join together and then make a strip... whatever the shape it can be used...... the only rule is the EDGES MUST BE STRAIGHT.

 

You will need strips longer than the 11" as some will be on the diagonal - they will need to be as long as 17".  I leave my strips as long as I can and trim as I use...

Have in your mind the block designs you want to use - these are my basic shapes...

Top Row (from left to right)
~ straight strips on the diagonal ~
~ slanted strips back and forward ~
~ slanted strips on the diagonal back and forward ~
~ Straight strips back and forward~


 Bottom Row (from left to right)
 ~ fan from the corner ~
~ slanted strips on the diagonal ~
~ fan from the centre ~
~ straight strips on the diagonal (Repeat) ~

~ No rules ~
~ except for the STRAIGHT EDGES ~

OK.... so go refill your glass mug and lets get making blocks
(I'll just have a little snack if you don't mind)


~ Right - ready to sew ~

~ lay your first strip ~
RIGHT SIDE UP
whatever your design the method is the same
sometimes you can start from the centre and others at an edge


~ lay your second strip  placing right sides together (RST) ~

~ press ~

 ~ as I said I make strips as I go ~
(I am using scrap stash)

~ straight edges ~ right sides together... always....

~ keep going ~

~ stop a while if you need a drink snack ~

  ~ lay, stitch, press, eat, lay, stitch, press, drink, lay, stitch, press, eat ....etc etc ......~

~ almost there ~

~ block is covered ~

~ now turn over the block and trim to size ~

~ beautiful ~

~ keep going with all your blocks ~

~ until you have a beautiful pile ~

~ scrumptiousness ~

~ now for that cuppa of your favourite refreshment ~


~ there might even be a slice of cake left ~

Join together with your favourite method of sashing
~ this is how I did mine - it makes a sashing of 1/2" between the blocks ~
this is enough to bind the quilt together there is no adding extra wadding and no double wadding edges that are bulky to sew

Firstly lay out your blocks

I label mine so that I know where they fit
I'm a bit anal about wanting stripes to go this way and that and get a fair mix
(in this case of the splashes of red)

Of your sashing you will need strips of 1" and 1 1/2".  Press the 1 1/2 inch in half lengthways

Start by cutting enough 10" lengths to join the blocks


with your first block place the 1" strip Right Sides Together to the backing side of the block

then lay the folded 1 1/2" strip raw edges together on the top of that same side
so we have a sandwich of back 1" strip, quilted block, folded 11/2" strip
Pin these in place

I get them all ready and sew, sew, sew


~ separate the blocks and trim the sashing if required ~


~ your pile of blocks with sashing ~
~ do not add the sashing to the outer edges - ONLY the edges that are joining to another block ~


~ next you join the other side of the 1" strip to the next block (RST)
sorry for the black - you can't see the stitching

~ the 1" is now 1/2" which butts both edges of the block perfectly together ~
~ the top folded sashing is only sewn on one side ~


~ lay your blocks flat and pin down the top sashing - this is the folded edge of the folded sashing - which is now 1/2" - exactly the same as the backing ~
~ sew this down ~


~ close up picture ~


~ once you have joined up the rows you start the same process ~
~ this time along the whole length of a row of blocks ~


 ~join, join, join,  this is fun ~


~ add the binding and the quilt is done ~


~ at this time you may like to celebrate ~
~ bring out the really pretty tea set ~

~ lemon sponge anyone? ~

When I made this the first time I used 5 basic designs for the squares and also 5 different backings
it was a little more tricky laying it out because I had to be aware of both sides


~ but it is a fully reversible quilt ~
~ change it to suit the mood ~
~ this one was made for eldest son and daughter in law ~


~ and don't forget to label your quilt ~
~ mine is pretty simple ~

Oh, and by the way, there was a few strips scraps left so I made a hot pot rug (9" square)


'cos you never can have enough pot holders...

Righto, Gotto Go.... I feel a need to do some baking???????

41 comments:

Sunnybec said...

Lovely! I like QAYG, it does seem a lot of work at first but oh the joy of not having to do a large quilt sandwich and all the quilting.... I now need to go and do some exercise, all that cake eating has made me fat!!!!! Hugs xx

WoolenSails said...

I really love the idea of quilting each block, would be easier for me, but I got lost on the sashing, lol. My brain is in limbo this week.

Debbie

Sheila said...

What a great tutorial Fiona, I really must try this method , it would save me a lot of time in the end. Hugs Sheila

Terry said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I've always wanted to try quilt as you go, and this might just be the push that I need! :0)

Anonymous said...

wow Fiona thankyou so much for the tutorial,this is going into my favourites and one day i will make this,i love it in black and white with just a hint of red,well done my friend and thankyou for sharing.xx

Shirley said...

This method really does appeal to me, going to see how I can use it for my first quilt.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Wonderful tutorial! I love how the quilt is fully reversible. Thanks so much!

Grethe said...

Oh Fiona, this is great! What a perfect quilt, super tutorial and thanks for all the goodish I "ate" while reading :-)

Christine M said...

Great post Fiona. Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us. I've never done a quilt as you go.

Susan said...

Great tutorial Fiona, and gives a great looking quilt at the end. Although I may need to go on a diet afterwards if I follow ALL the steps!

Sue SA said...

Have you got ESP? I have a QAYG project that has stalled because I wasnt sure how to sew the other side of the sashing strips! Thanks, the perfect kick I need to get that project up and running again.

Katherine said...

A fun tutorial. I love the idea of two quilts in one too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

This is fantastic Fiona.....I too want to make this one day....can I pease put it up as a tutorial on my blog?

retdairyqueen said...

I like your way of quilting Plenty of food drink a little sewing
Seriously the quilt is lovely and a fantastic effort for one of your first quilts xx

Jennifer said...

Great tutorial! And all that drink and goodies too......

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Fantastic tutorial Fiona, thank you. Love the drink and snack stops also :o) hugs

Wonky Girl said...

You were having way too much fun sewing that wonderful quilt. May I come join you next time (I'm partial to your snacking ritual while sewing). LOL

Maria said...

Love your tutorial Fiona.. I have lots of QAGY but never put the binding on your way.. So easy and no think edges...Thanks will give it a go..
Wish I was there to help you eat the cakes..

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Totally amazing Bubz....well done and thanks so much for the fantastic tutorial and all those yummy cakes..

Janet said...

Thanks for a great tutorial. And all the snacks! :)

Susan said...

what a fun post - I will keep this in my bookmarks so I can (hopefully) find it again.

Jane said...

I'm ok until it comes to joining the blocks together, lol. I shall definitely try this one day

Karen said...

This is great information and it never hurts to re-visit it. Especially the parts about the chocolate!

Jeneta said...

You are so clever...and so funny! I feel really full, yet hungry at the same time!!

Marilyn said...

Great tutorial Fiona. I am surprised the photos are still focussed though after all those glasses and sips. I have started doing more QAYG quilts now when the method suits the quilt.

Wendy said...

You are so clever, it is a beautiful quilt, very effective!! Hugs

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Thanks for the great tute.

Sisbabestitches said...

Great tute and thanks for sharing it on your blog too :) Great tip about piecing scraps- I never have scrappy bits that big- never thought of it myself, lol!

Jill Davis said...

How do you add the borders? Do you quilt those first too?

Fiona said...

Hi Jill, your email came through as no reply so I am hoping you might look back here.... the borders of the big quilt were quilted first and added on using the binding as with the blocks. Thanks for your query
Hugz

Strumpet said...

LOVE this way of quilting. I've been sewing clothing for years, and my mom has always quilted, but now I want to do 'simple' quilts.

Is it possible for you to do an amazing tutorial on sashing? My brain isn't wrapping around how it goes on here. I may need more pictures, or not eat as many brownies...

crypticpuzzler said...

Hi Fiona - Greetings from Western Australia. Loved the reversible Quilt As You Go tutorial and it's gone right to the top of my 'to do' list. Would love to join you for the "Happy Hour" in between blocks but the 13,000kms between us rather puts a damper on that. Thanks for sharing your great ideas. Warm wishes. Irene.

Unknown said...

Hi there!
I have a question re the front sashing, do you machine sew this down? I am assuming yes?
Thanks again for nice tutorial :)
BB

Unknown said...

Hello There!
I have a question about your sashing... Maybe I read too quickly, but it seems that your sashing would be without the batting. Is that correct?

Thanks!

NM

Unknown said...

Thank you for a lovely, very useful, and funny tutorial. Just what I needed so as to be able to complete my quilt without getting to the dreaded quilt-a-whole-queen-size quilt at once stage. You are a magician!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, and an inspiration.

Sister Pam said...

there is a great YouTube tutorial on this........

LadyBugVicki said...

Loved all this until the sashing. I found 1" wide hard to work with, plus decided 1/2" finished not wide enough. So used 1-1/2" wide in place of 1", and sewing 3/8" seam. The wider strips I cut 2-1/2". When it was time to topstitch that folded edge, I pressed 1/2" fusible bonding between it and the area where quilt squares butt up against each other. Easier to top stitch and looks great.

LadyBugVicki said...

Thanks for the inspiration.... wish I could share picture of my quilt!!

Fiona said...

Glad you liked it... yes it would be lovely to see...
Hugz

liniecat said...

Great QAYG tute and a wonderful quilt to boot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
>